- Day-to-day: To write the best damn copy for the reader to feel and act on.
- Life-long: To move the world with words.
- Capabilities & QualitiesA checklist for success in this role.
- You are a creative mind, a lateral thinker, and an eloquent writer. You think big and small―equally capable of big picture vision and attention to detail.
- You read a lot, including books about business, strategy, psychology, marketing, branding, and advertising. You are insightful and inquisitive. You ask interesting questions. You constantly learn new things to hone your mental sharpness and inventiveness.
- You love working with words―writing, playing, stretching, crafting, and killing your darlings until what remains is essential. You are so good at what you do that you will rewrite this post as a proof to bypass the competition.
- You have at least 5 years of experience in the creative business of branding, marketing, and advertising. You have written a copious amount over the years, and have become potent and prolific.
- You can figure out 1) what to write, and 2) how to write it best for any situation, audience, and format.
- You consider complex wording and unclear phrasing laziness. You prefer clear and concise, or better yet, witty and wise. Personal taste aside, you know when to switch voice and tone into what will resonate with the intended audience for the desired outcome.
- Curious about human nature, you study psychology and observe behaviour, which gives you the ability to empathize with any audience.
- You think independently. You find sketching out and/or jotting down ideas by hand helps steer your brain and keeps your creative thoughts structured. You debate ideas assertively and collaborate open-mindedly. Once a decision is made, you move forward promptly.
- You are driven to create great work. You are a composed communicator, able to present ideas to different clients and audiences. You are tech-savvy and adaptable to new technologies and/or systems quickly.
- You are cultured, but not snobby. You are confident, but not egotistical. You are humorous, but not crass.
- You are a person of your words, in every sense.
- OpportunitiesIf you are the right fit for this role, opportunities are endless for you at Pixel Dreams:
- You will have meaningful work and meaningful relationships.
- You will play a vital role in shaping the creative work produced by our company.
- You will write for our company and clientele, including local and global brands across industries.
- You will work with a diverse range of creative formats.
- You will collaborate with a fast-moving team, in a stimulating and ever-evolving environment.
- You will benefit from kaizen operations and clear communication.
- You will pursue growth and leadership opportunities.
- You will make decisions, and see them through successes, failures, and lessons learned.
- You will step into your discomfort zone. Again and again.
- You will study new things, and teach what you learn.
- You will help your team and your company grow. You will help your clients grow. You will help your community grow.
- You will help make the world a better place.
- You will contribute to our company’s MTP, which is to raise intelligence and consciousness.
- When you have proven your leadership capabilities, you will build and lead your creative team.
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience and performance.
- Write for B2B (and some B2C) communication (strategize, ideate, conceptualize, write, edit)
- Collaborate with art director on concept development and execution
- Contribute to vision, direction, execution, presentation, and delivery on a range of projects
- Understand client objectives, project constraints, and market context to develop recommendations
- Contribute to brainstorming sessions
- Develop messaging strategy
- Write copy for any medium, in any format, and any style
- Embody and drive creative excellence
- Raise thought leadership for company and clientele
- Contribute to marketing and sales pitches
- Collaborate to guide and evolve the creative process
- Actively participate in nurturing company culture
- Future: build, manage, lead, mentor and grow creative team (strategists, writers, and designers)
- Bonus: Unique Abilities
- You do not wait for life to happen but rather initiate change
- You are fearless in taking on new challenges
- You have a magical way of distilling dense information into small bites
- You are known to defy the odds
- You see the big picture and how each tiny detail support it
- You get right to the point and don’t beat around the bush
- You tend to minimize investigation, leaving behind the competition who’s deep in analysis paralysis
- You know how it’s been done efficiently, preferring to find new possibilities and promote alternatives
- You don’t take the common route, but rather negotiate and establish shortcuts
- You thrive in the unknown, able to simplify complex problems
- You improvise solutions to problems when in a tight situation
- You are cool under pressure racing against the clock (in fact, your best work has always been refined to the very last minute)
- Bonus: Personal Experience
- You speak multiple languages
- You play a musical instrument
- You are fond of hip hop (equally for its poetry and swagger)
- You appreciate great food (eating and cooking)
- You have a good time partying
- You’ve read the following:
- Extreme Ownership
- 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership
- The Five Dysfunctions of Team
- Ego is the Enemy
- Obstacle is the Way
- Atomic Habits
- On Writing
- Scientific Advertising
- The Elements of Style
- Have taken at least one of these assessments:
- Predictive Index
- Kolbe A
About Pixel Dreams
Pixel Dreams is a creative agency based in Toronto, Canada. Our company is small in size and ego, and big in everything that matters: purpose, audacity, creativity, capability, opportunity, tenacity, transparency, community, and play.
At Pixel Dreams, there are no dull days―only full ones.
Three themes bind our team together:
- Grit: We share a painstaking dedication to growth―personally, professionally, and collectively.
- Gratitude: We appreciate life and each other. We reflect on gratitude daily and weekly.
- Glee: We laugh daily. We take work and study seriously, but not ourselves.
- Take part in daily morning check-ins and afternoon stand-ups
- Work closely with the strategy and development teams, as well as clients
- Direct reporting to the leadership team
- Read, study, learn, teach
- Joke a lot and laugh a lot
- Reflect on your day, journal, track performance
What propels our team
- Attention to health
- Dedication to learning
- Alignment with values
- Unified purpose: to raise intelligence and consciousness.
Why Raise I+C?
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
We have the potential to solve all of life’s individual and collective challenges. Climate change, civil rights, health, or economy – our most complex challenges can be solved when we raise our collective intelligence and consciousness.
Respond to this posting with a brief cover letter containing the following:
- Who you are, where you are from, and why you’re applying for this opening.
- Share your favourite quote on copywriting and storytelling, and another one on leadership and management. Tell us what each quote means to you.
- List your 3 favourite comedians and why they blow your mind.
Please include your portfolio or relevant links (PDF format only for attachments)