Are you curious about what it’s like behind the curtains at Pixel Dreams? Are you interested in joining our team and wondering if we’d make a good fit? This article aims to give you a glimpse into the life and culture of a PDTer.
A Week in the Life of a PDT’er
A week at PD resembles an episodic comedy show that pacts in suspense, drama, heartache, and victory. Every episode (week) starts with the best of intentions. Team members catch up on their weekends, establish goals, and enthusiastically get to it .
What do you look forward to?
What’s on your mind?
How I’m going to crush it!
And then it happens…
Never skipping a beat, Weird Cousin Disaster 👹 visits you from out of town and decides to sleep on your couch. 🧳
You start feeling a bit… not-so-great. 😔
Tuesday: You have a rough conversation with a teammate, followed by a tough conversation a client. Out of left field comes a new request: you’re required to hit an unachievable target in too little time. 🎯
Your concrete plans for the week are tossed in the air! New priorities are dumped in your bowl. 🍜 A teammate tells you to, “suck it up, muster up more courage, and get disciplined!”
You feel the pressure. 🥵 You doubt your abilities. 😬
You ask, “Is this the right place for me? Am I cut out for this team? Are these people insane? Am I?” 🤨
Steven Pressfield calls it Resistance with a capital R.
Ryan Holiday calls it The Obstacle that needs to become The Way.
— And Captain Picard shouts Red Alert! 🚨
Whatever it is, it’s not what you planned for, it’s not what you imagined, and it’s not what you [think you] want.
Warp-engines are down!
Shields are failing!
And hull integrity is about to buckle!
Is it time to get into your escape pod and eject?
some other things happen.
A teammate comes to your aid. Then another comes to your rescue.
Your workload seems almost attainable. There is a faint light at the end of your tunnel.
What’s this? → 📧 →
“Dear You, thanks for crushing it. You’re the best, and I love working with you and your team.”
– Client –
Later that Wednesday, a bunch of dirty random and very offside jokes are shared in your afternoon stand-up. 🤣
You laugh so hard, ☕ spews out your left nostril and leaves a trail on your ⌨️.
Thursday morning, you attend your scheduled one-on-one meeting with your team lead.
You learn about your client, the work, and gain a little wisdom about yourself. 🎖 He ends the meeting with a strange,
“see you later. Love ya lots!”
Is that normal? 🧐
Friday rolls around… and somehow, strangely, the most important work needing to get done… gets done. ✅
It’s 3:30 pm, and you attend this shindig called: Friducation. What’s this? Oh, Education on Fridays. 🤦♀️ Duh.
A team member presents an interesting topic. Then another.
You transition from presentations into your regularly scheduled Weekly Wrap-up meeting.
The team sings someone a horribly-tuned and not-in-sync virtual happy birthday. 🎶 You’re embarrassed for them 😳, but also kinda impressed by your team’s light-heartedness.
Each team member takes a turn giving shout-outs to peers they were proud of and appreciative of. Your name is mentioned several times. 🥲
You secretly die — from love.
Everyone’s taken a turn, including you. In an awkward teenage-boy kinda way, people try to say their goodbyes, “No, you hang up first! No, you!”
The week ends with smiles, laughter, cheers and celebrations for making it through another great week of character-building lows and celebratory highs.
Weekly Wrap-up is done.
Your 📷 is off.
You sit for a moment, look into your screen, and wonder, “what did I just experience?”
You have this funny feeling in your 🫀.
A silent voice inside you says,
“I can’t wait ‘till next week.”
of week 01
Put on your big-boy-big-girl pants. Roll up your sleeves, soldier. Let’s get going!
Celebrate your team and an epic week. Laugh. Drink, smoke, and be merry!
- First day of the weekIt’s Sunday, the first day of the week. Wait, did you think Monday was the first day? No, no. Sunday, you get prepped and ahead, ready to crush your competitors. Losers start their week on Mondays, and you’re no loser.
- MMM at 8 amMonday Morning Meeting, sometimes on Tuesday.
This is your opportunity to catch up with your team about their weekend, declare your weekly goals, and report on your last week’s goals.
- What are your health goals?
- What are your reading and studying targets?
- What do you look forward to?
- Is there anything on your mind?
- Wednesday Goals Check-in at 9:00 amIt’s mid-week. Time to report on your week’s progress.
- How are you doing with your goals?
- Do you need support?
- Do you need to adjust targets?
- Friducation Presentations at 3:30 pmSometimes earlier, sometimes later.
One or two team members present on a topic. Sometimes a guest speaker is brought in. Sometimes we have clients and community members in the audience.
- Friday Weekly-Wrap-up at 4:30 pmThis time is dedicated to you. Stop. Smell the roses. Give thanks to those special team members who helped you crush it this week.
- How was your week?
- Who are you proud of?
- Who do you want to give shout-outs to?
- PDA - PeriodicPDA = Pixel Dreams Academy
Typically led by our CEO, this is a learning session. Topics range from teamwork to financial freedom. Have a topic you’d like to learn more about?
- Team Department MeetingsTeam leaders (disciplinary or client-based) provide training, coaching, and mentorship. Be prepared to leave the meeting with homework. Be ready to present at your next gathering.
- 1:1 = One-on-onesMeetings between you and your leader(s). This time is precious, allowing you and your leader to catch up, share thoughts and ideas, and provide you mentorship and coaching.
- Coaching SessionsMeet with one of our advisors to get world-class coaching. Our advisors are industry leaders who provide our team with ongoing wisdom and coaching.
A Few Requirements
By no means, is this an exhaustive list.
Attendance in person
In the city: Twice a week at one of our locations
Out of the city: Once every two weeks
Out of the province or country: 2-3 times per year
JD = Journey Docs
This is a living digital document required by team members to keep up to date. Your JD houses your journey at PD from newbie to veteran to retirement. Your Journey Doc is the important place for you to capture essential milestones, wisdom, discussions about pay and career opportunities, and much much more.
- A week at PD feels like an hour at your old job.
- You will learn more in three months than you can possibly imagine.
- Study like your life depends on it. You are a Knowledge-Worker.
- Work out and be healthy. You are an Olympian.
- Hustle hard like there’s no tomorrow.
- Argue, debate, and make your point.
- It’s about WE, never YOU nor ME.
- Leave your Ego in the past. Bring it here if you’d like it shattered.
- Pain and suffering are catalysts for insight and enlightenment. Love the process it.
- Amateurs have excuses. Professionals perform. This ain’t little league.
- Laugh loudly, be merry, be light. Life is short. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Uphold our core values: Improve health. Pursue wisdom. Cultivate teamwork.